system shutdown!

angieh 21:49 20 Jun 06

My son has a Packard Bell desktop. Everytime he turns on, it boots up, gets to the desktop says "error" and shuts down, only to reboot over and over again. Will he need to wipe hard drive and start again? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SANTOS7 21:53 20 Jun 06

click here
has the hallmarks of the sasser virus..

angieh 21:56 20 Jun 06

Thanks - will give it a go. This only happened after we had subscribed to download anti virus software - Spydoctor I think. Is this a coincidence?

angieh 22:04 20 Jun 06

The error message is "NTLDR is missing". Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:26 20 Jun 06

NTLDR Missing
If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

angieh 22:46 20 Jun 06

have inserted the xp cd and nothing happens. It goes to the Windows XP loading up screen and just hangs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:28 20 Jun 06

You need to enter BIOS on Boot up (message on screen says which key to enter setup, e.g. del / esc / F2).

In BIOS look for setting for BOOT order and set CD rom as first boot device. Save and exit (F10)

Reboot with CD in drive

HarryTheDudd 15:32 20 Sep 06

Reading the problem you're having and it's very similar to mine. I'm booting up from CD-ROM, but it doesn't let me chose how to install XP, just goes ahead and starts copying the files. Then it tries to start Windows and I get a blue screen. It recommends pressing F8 and starting in safe mode. F8 doesn't have any effect on my laptop. I change back to boot from hard drive to see if that works. Same again, but this time the message someone mentioned earlier comes up "NTLDR is missing".

I looked up NTLDR on wikipaedia and it seemed to point towards a solution, but I don't have a floppy drive to load it from there. Can it be done with CD-ROM?

Before I had this problem I was using BitDefender 9 Prof trial. I got up in the morning and it kept sending error messages to the publisher. The computer went realy slow. I tried to unistall it and it kept freezing. I think it's a virus messin' me about.

Any ideas for how to solve this would be cool. :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 20 Sep 06

You really should start your own thread so that you and not angie ar notified of replies to your problem.

see my post Tue, [email protected]:26 above for repairing from CD

HarryTheDudd 03:27 21 Sep 06

I'll ,make a new one. ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…