System settings lost, unable to use system restore

alanharg 23:35 19 Feb 05

When I switched on my pc today I found that the system seemed to have reverted back to when it was first installed. I have lost half my desk top icons my Email settings and addresses and various other settings. My system takes ages to boot up into my desktop (although my wife's loads quicker) and the windows tour and security menus start up automatically. I then tried to load a previous restore point and found that the restore function was turned off. when I switched it on again all my previous restore points were inaccessible. I am running XP pro and previous to now the system has worked fine. Can anyone explain what has caused this and can I restore my previous configuration?

LastChip 23:44 19 Feb 05

your first port of call would be to always run a virus scan with the latest definitions in your anti-virus software. Further scans for Trojans and Malware would be a good move too.

If the system comes up clean, report back and we will have to look elsewhere.

alanharg 00:13 20 Feb 05

I forgot to mention I used PCCillin for my virus check and Adaware and spybot for any other nasties. All three came up with a clean report.

LastChip 00:32 20 Feb 05

Take a look at the error log in Control Panel; Computer Admin (I think) and see what it shows.

alanharg 01:45 20 Feb 05

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found several error messages on bad clusters, so I ran scandisk which repaired the clusters and everything came back to normal. Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…