System services not available

jrb 9090 14:03 18 Feb 04

I recently connected to BBAnd - used W98, but PC started getting v slow. Noticed that when right-clicking MyComputer, I could not access Properties. Also same problem through Settings/Control Panel.

Upgraded to W2000 as I thought it would resolve these issues, but still have sames problems. Have run anti-virus software, but cant uninstall Norton to put new Norton on. I'm also getting lots of 'run-time' errors.

Any ideas??

recap 14:39 18 Feb 04

You say you "Upgraded to W2000" how was this done, was it installed over the top of W98 or from a clean install?

Have you tried uninstalling Norton in Safe Mode?

jrb 9090 14:54 18 Feb 04

thanks for your input

i took the option to install w2k without removing
my existing file system - so not a full 'clean install'. did this from cd-rom.

i can get into add/remove programs in 'safe mode' but cannot remove Norton. i get message to say that 'a newer version is available and need to install that first' i'm then directed to add/remove programs and just go round in circles.

I managed to download a 'stinger' antivirus program from mcafee which identified a DcomRpc Gen virus in svchost.exe. This was the only virus. No worms or others detected.

--- just got message the svchost has generated an error --

JIM 15:23 18 Feb 04

any variants of WORM_MSBLAST.GEN, but did not think it affected Win98?

Are you sure your system is cleaned up and patches applied?

click here

click here

jrb 9090 17:49 18 Feb 04

I've re run the mcafee anti worm program and nothing found. i've downloaded th patch and going offline now to install

thanks 4 yr help

jrb 9090 18:05 18 Feb 04

Have run anti virus software, added ms patches, restarted and still cannot access SYSTEM by either right click on My Computer - properties does not open up, or through Control Panel. Any ideas??

JIM 18:17 18 Feb 04

run a sfc /scannow for win2000 at least to cover that area.Unless already tried.

Any errors recorded if you look in the System Event Log?

jrb 9090 18:31 18 Feb 04

This mssage is the lates in the Application event viewer...

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 800706BF from line 42 of .\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

HAven't a clue what this is!

jrb 9090 18:48 18 Feb 04

More clues...now the HELP service (F1 or on Start menu)is not working....there must be a simple explanation for all of this?

JIM 19:02 18 Feb 04

error, and with information from elsewhere it is saying download ---"Patch for RPC errors etc.--But that you have already done? link will only lead you to, KB823980-x86-ENU.exe

Would have a think!

But you may have to consider a Formatt and clean install of win2000 to get all back as it should be. I see/feel you have left over damage from a Troajan/virus/spyware etc. and no messages from your bootup or during normal operation to fall back on.

Also have to consider a poss slight corrupt installation of 2000 over win98--I dont know!

click here

jrb 9090 19:29 18 Feb 04

starting to look that a full clean install of w2K is the only option I have....but would prefer to avaoid if at all possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…