system restore...will i loose everything

stephen0205 13:50 05 Dec 06

hi there my windows mce recently got an eror ( ehshell.exe) and i was told to restore my pc back a few days but i would like to know if i would loose andy pics or documents or softwar.......... please help

ed-0 13:55 05 Dec 06

All your pictures and documents should be fine. The only thing you should loose :-

any programs you have installed since that restore

any hardware drivers you have installed since that restore.

keithlik 14:00 05 Dec 06

The secret with System restore is to make sure that you Create a Restore Point at regular intervals (fairly frequently and especially before you install new drivers or applications).
System restore will do exactly as it says - Restore the System to what it was on the date to which you are restoring. Anything you have altered since that chosen date will not be included in the Restore.

Diodorus Siculus 14:46 05 Dec 06

Just don't rely solely on system restore to get you out of trouble; be sure to have a good backup routine in place too.

stephen0205 11:22 06 Dec 06

thanks for the help......have alot of software....shame to llose it all is there anyway just to fix the media center problem so it will work again.

stephen0205 11:22 06 Dec 06

thanks for the help......have alot of software....shame to llose it all is there anyway just to fix the media center problem so it will work again.

Stuartli 11:37 06 Dec 06

If you do a System Restore to an earlier point you will NOT lose programs etc installed after that point, but will undo all recorded changes made to the registry and monitored files caused by the installation(s). See:

click here

Diodorus Siculus 11:53 06 Dec 06

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…