System restored and temporary profile was made?

misswhit 17:47 14 Jan 10

My sony vaio laptop wouldn't turn on and when it finally did it told me to restore it, but that hasnt solved the problem, because when I turned it back on again it still wouldnt load up properly. It then ran this file check and restarted my computer to which i thought the problem had been solved, but no.
My laptop took a while to start then, but took me to my log in page and then to my desktop page, but it said I was on a temporary profile.
Does this mean I have lost all my files and how do I get my profile back.

Any Ideas?

Thank you kate

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 14 Jan 10

What operating system?

Technotiger 19:10 14 Jan 10
  misswhit 19:31 14 Jan 10

Fruitbat my operating system windows vista

Thanks technotiger I'll have a look now, see if i can work it out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:42 14 Jan 10

Sounds like you have a corrupt profile

MAke a new profile with a different name from the corrupt one. click here

Copy your files to the new profile, if it won't let you then take ownership of the file click here. then it will copy over.

when you have all your files copied remove the old profile.

misswhit 20:38 14 Jan 10

Thanks Fruit Bat I'm in the middle of taking ownershio of my files. Its a bit tedious, but looks like its working hopefully.

Thank you

misswhit 21:16 14 Jan 10

I think ive transferred all my personal files, but there's a file called windows, do i need to transfer that or will that automatically be on the laptop?

Technotiger 21:42 14 Jan 10

Windows is a Folder containing very many files, without which, your laptop would not work at all. So I would guess it is already on the laptop.

misswhit 21:48 14 Jan 10

Thanks Technotiger!

Technotiger 22:15 14 Jan 10

You can check to see the Windows folder on the laptop by going to My Computer, then left-click on the main C: drive, you should then see the folder marked WINDOWS, open this folder and you should see loads of files.

misswhit 12:47 15 Jan 10

Thanks..sorted and back to normal!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…