System Restore/Acer erecovery management

collinsc 16:39 03 Oct 10

System Restore/Acer erecovery management - Whats the difference?

After a previous post mentioned sys restore i checked mine out, i have system restore set (for C and D drive but not for PQSERVICE).
Firstly, do i need it set for PQSERVICE also?
and secondly, what is the difference between System Restore and Acer erecovery management.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 03 Oct 10

Instead of having Rescue and Restore discs the PQSERVICE partition holds all you need to get you back to the day your laptop was delivered.

Its usually hidden so you can not see it do not set system restore for this partition.

System restore is for widows to get back to an earlier date and time

Acer erecovery management. is to start the tools on the PQSERVICE partiton to set your machine back to factory settings

Batch 17:04 03 Oct 10

Firstly, Acer eRecovery provides the ability to restore your system to its factory supplied installation state (it may also provide the ability to create your own image backups, but not sure on this). PQSERVICE is the disk partition on which the factory state is stored which is used to overwrite your Windows installation. PQSERVICE should be a hidden partition and so you would not normally see it and it certainly does not need to be part of System Restore.

Whereas System Restore is part of Windows and creates a series of restore points whereby one can roll-back a certain amount of time. Only a certain amount of disk space is allocated to this which limits the amount of time you can go back (when the allocated disk space is used up, the oldest restore point(s) are dropped). It only backs up Windows / Program file changes and the like, it does not back-up your data (e.g. documents, music, videos). In my (and others) experience System Restore is unreliable. Many prefer to use imaging software such as Acronis True Image.

collinsc 17:11 03 Oct 10

thanks guys, should i be regularly making backup disks using erecovery? i did this when i first bought the laptop, and i regularly back up my important files on to an ext HD

Batch 17:17 03 Oct 10

Seems you can use it to create your own images. Suggest you download and read the eRecovery user manual from Acer.

Google for "acer erecovery management manual"
and it will probably be one of the first few items (it will be a pdf).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017