System Restore on XP - Turning Off

I have just discovered I can't turn System Restore off by clicking the 'settings' box. Alarmed, I tried the 'restore to an earlier date' function, but that won't work either. Has my system been overtaken by a 'nasty' and if so, how can I restore my restore function please??

Diodorus Siculus 18:57 17 Jul 04

Try the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

Thank you Diodorus Siculus. I've tried that but the machine won't recognise the command.

Diodorus Siculus 20:04 17 Jul 04

It should; are you sure it is typed correctly:

sfc space /scannow

ie

sfc /scannow

Copy the above and paste into the run box.

chugby 20:33 17 Jul 04

click here and type in
Q302796, might help.

iscanut2 22:12 17 Jul 04

When using sfc, don't forget to have your Win XP CD Rom in the drive !

Thank you Diodorus Siculus, Chugby and Nuts. I didn't realise I had to have the XP disc inserted. I have now reinstalled XP, first from the computer itself and then from the XP CD. However, neither method has solved this problem, nor the fact that the 'search' function won't work, and nor can I get into the registry using 'regedit'.

This leaves only the option of clearing out the XP platform and reinstalling from the CD, hopefully leaving the content and files intact. Does anyone know how to cleanse the system before reinstalling please? I read how to do it some time ago on this forum but can't find the procedure.

Many appreciative thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 09:31 18 Jul 04

"Does anyone know how to cleanse the system before reinstalling please?"

In what sense? If you are wondering how to get the machine prepared for a reinstall, then all you need to do is defrag, empty temp files and internet files, any cookies you don't want and so on.

Also be sure you have a good backup because sometimes things do go wrong.

Stuartli 09:54 18 Jul 04

But Mantle states he has already reinstalled XP, first from the compter itself and then from the XP CD...:-)

Just wondering if he/she means that SFC has been run and any missing/corrupted files replaced?

Mantle

It could possibly be a case of XP Administrator rights. Are you logged on as the Administrator?

Thanks Stuartli. I'll try to log on as administrator in safe mode and reinstall from the CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…