System Restore in XP Pro

theearlofsabden 23:31 25 Feb 10

Hi all

Just wiped hard drive and re-installed XP Pro but System Restore is no longer in Accessories > System Tools. The re-instalation is NOT a copy but my original OS disk.

Please advise.

Thanks
Neil.

northumbria61 23:45 25 Feb 10

Try this

Rightclick the "C:\WINDOWS\inf\sr.inf" (or where ever your windows are installed) select "install" and skip all the files that you are promped. This will fix your registry regarding System restore."

Sea Urchin 12:31 26 Feb 10

Might help?

click here

Batch 14:15 26 Feb 10

Must admit I had what seemed rather strange to me a few weeks ago when doing a fresh install of XP Home.

I'd just bought an Acer netbook (with XP Home) and didn't want all the other garbage that came preinstalled. Rather then try and uninstall the masses of unwanted software and have untold follow-on issues, I decided to reinstall XP Home from scratch (using an existing XP Home CD as a source and the Product Key of the netbook).

For some reason, although System Restore was there (or at least it seemed to be) with an entry in System Tools and a tab on the System Properties dialogue, it was turned-off (in the afore-mentioned System Properties).

I didn't investigate further as I only discovered it was already off when I went to turn it off (I don't use it - much prefer to rely on Acronis TI).

Thinking about it, makes me wonder if this sort of thing might be to do with hardware / BIOS conflicts and somehow not being deemed compatible with System Restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…