System restore XP home not working

pwill 06:38 16 Nov 03

More often than not when I try to use system restore, it tells me the system could not be restored to the required point. The XP installation is kept fully updated?

powerless 06:44 16 Nov 03

What does SR tell you fully?

Any error codes?

gudgulf 06:59 16 Nov 03

Do you use any utilities for clearing out,for example the registry? Ive found this can happen on my own pc.

On the other hand it is very rarely that I need to use system restore.Are you having any recurring problems with your pc?

pwill 07:23 16 Nov 03

No error codes.
Yes there is a recurring problem... after an hour or two the screen just locks up. A reset usually gets it going again. After a few weeks this does not work for long & I have to back up the whole system to a reliable drive image from May this year! The Xp self reporting is not much use... it just says there is a driver cinflict. I've tried uninstalling drivers, physically removing hardware, checking all components are seated tightly & had it into the local guru for a check & 24 hour test... no problems found?
I could leave it in the un-updated state... but then I've given up!

gudgulf 21:16 16 Nov 03

A bit drastic perhaps,but have you considered a clean reinstall of windows?

Im assuming youve scanned for viruses etc--including your backup?

Mike ® 21:51 16 Nov 03

To get your system restore working again (probably) turn it of on all drives and then on again. You will loose all your restore points, but should be ok.

pwill 20:36 17 Nov 03

I think I've solved the system restore problem... disabled it... rebooted & re-enabled... saw it in a previous problem.
As regards the system freezing on me the problem arrises at some stage with updating... can't put my finger on what it happens with. It's more likely to freez on me when I'm online & the more windows & programs open & running. Also I have trouble installing or reinstalling complex apps, eg Coreldraw, MS Office etc... I keep an install of Win ME on another partion for when I get too narked off with XP!
Tried everything & asked all others that know enything but can't get to the bottom of the XP problem???

porci 20:47 17 Nov 03

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but before it freezes have you checked to see if any of your processes keep counting up and hourding all your resources? I take it you dont have memory shortage

pwill 21:12 17 Nov 03

I've got 512mb ram, AMD Athlon 800mhz, 32mb video card. mainboard is a Jetway pro ATX... quite a good spec 3 years ago when I bought it. Two hard drives, 1 x 20gb with XP & Me on and the other 1 x 40gb with my data on. No viruses on either system... ME is stable but XP recons there is a driver conflict problem? Nothing in system properties... all devices say they are OK... completely baffled me???!!!

sattman 22:51 17 Nov 03

There might be a clue to your problem, when you say the freezing occurs when you are online.

I had a similar problem where I was plagued with system crashes and blue screen which would eventually corrupt the registry. The registry corrution eventually after so many crashes prevented a system restore.

Problem was found to be a faulty internal modem.

pwill 20:53 19 Nov 03

Hmmmm... this might be the cause, I fitted a new modem around May time when the problems started. I'll try it with the old one at the weekend. I ghanged it to a new V92 spec which is supposed to be quicker dialing than V90... if anything it's slower! 30+ secs to get online... I think the old one was around 18 secs. Is there any advantage of the V92 other than speed of dialup... which I havn't got anyway?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…