System Restore XP Home

raysophie 20:09 05 Feb 07

I had installed Sky Anytime on my PC,the computer then seemed to run very slow.I then uninstalled Sky with no improvement.I then tried system restore and found that at what ever point I chose the computer would go through the motions of system restore, but when I logged back on it said, System could not be restored to this date. I have tried several dates with no luck.
I have BT Broadband which has Norton Protection centre provided,reading comments I should now try SR with protection disabled but I cannot work out how to turn Nortons off?
Can anyone advise whAt to try next.
If I disable system restore and reboot computer I understand this will create a new restore point but will this let me go back to an earlier date.
ray

VoG II 20:12 05 Feb 07

Disabling system restore then re-enabling it may get it working again but you won't have any restore points to go back to.

woodchip 20:12 05 Feb 07

If you turn it off you loos all restore points. not that they are any good to you

woodchip 20:14 05 Feb 07

This why on hear we keep puching Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. Creating a Image to other media allows you to do a true restore. Even if windows will not boot or you get a virus

what message do you get and is it a compaq pc?

beeuuem 20:41 05 Feb 07

From click here
Message: "Restoration Incomplete . . . " when running Windows System Restore

Situation:

You have installed a 2006 version of a Norton program, such as Norton AntiVirus 2006, Norton Internet Security 2006, Norton Personal Firewall 2006, or Norton SystemWorks 2006. You run the Windows System Restore to restore your computer to a previous point. When you do, you see the message: "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "

Solution:
To fix this problem, follow the steps in this section. You will disable the Symantec Resource Protection feature, run Windows System Restore again, and then turn on Symantec Resource Protection.

To turn off Symantec Resource Protection and run Windows System Restore again
Start your Norton program.
Click Options.
If you see a menu, click Norton AntiVirus.
In the left pane, click Miscellaneous.
In the right pane, uncheck Turn protection on for my Symantec protect.
Click OK.
Run Windows System Restore again.
When the system is restored, go on to the next section.

To turn on Symantec Resource Protection
Start your Norton program.
Click Options.
If you see a menu, click Norton AntiVirus.
In the left pane, click Miscellaneous.
In the right pane, check Turn protection on for my Symantec protect.
Click OK.

You must repeat each of these procedures any time that you run Windows System Restore.

raysophie 08:46 06 Feb 07

Thanbks for the advic, turning off Norton Anti Virus worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017