system restore wont turn on

lauralovesballa 15:42 22 Dec 07

i have bull guard protection. last night i ran a scan and found a few viruses 2 of these couldnt be removed with system restore so i turned it off restarted comp, then bull guard deleted them. i restarted again then tried to turn system restore back on i got a message it said. system restore is unable to protect your computer. please restart and try again, which i did then i got the same message. i have done a scan disc and a defrag. but still i cant turn system restore back on . i am using os xp pro.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:52 22 Dec 07

system restore is a bad way of protecting your PC against virus.

The virus often hides in system restore it cannot be deleted or scannned by the Peotection systems as the restore files are "protected by windows".

So scan and find the virus, delete it and then do a system restore just puts the virus back into your system.
It is always recomended if you have a virus to switch off system restore to delete all the restore points, rescan to make sure the virus is gone and then switch restore back on.

In your case I suspect you have a corrupt restore that is causing your problem.
Switch off system restore
then boot to safe mode and delete the system volume information folders click here

Reboot and then see if you can switch restore back on

lauralovesballa 15:57 22 Dec 07

thanks i will try that now merry xmas

lauralovesballa 17:21 22 Dec 07

i have done as you said but i still get the same message. i re scaned for viruses and all is clear but i am still unable to turn system restore on

Graham. 17:40 22 Dec 07
  lauralovesballa 15:26 23 Dec 07

thanks that solved it. you always great advise and guidence tou are stars cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…