System restore won't restart

hiwatt 14:58 10 Apr 07

(I already posted this but didn't resolve it so thought I'd try again)After switching off system restore to free up some disk space the system restore tab has vanished from system properties.In services it has been stopped but when I try to start it it says " could not start system restore on local computer error 5".I don't have my windows xp disc to reinstall.Could someone offer advice as to how to fix this please.

worldswizkid 01:33 15 Apr 07

hi m8 what pc u got??? restart your pc and each time start tapping from F7 to f12 to try and get you into recovery mode

lpl56407 02:52 15 Apr 07

Try the SR.INF (System Restore Install) fix as per this link
click here

mocha 02:55 15 Apr 07

You need at least 200mb of disk space to run system restore, check you've got enough space.

If System Restore Service is not running—Open Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, and then click Services and Applications. Click Services, and double-click System Restore Services from the list. Check that the service is started and running. If not, under Service status, click Start and change the startup type to Automatic.

You can access System restore from 'Start', 'Help and Support'

€dstowe 06:20 15 Apr 07

Error 5 seems to be something to do with a failure of time synchronisation. There have been a number of threads recently about the time being incorrect on computers. Check yours and if it is wrong or there is a message saying that time checks have failed, use a different time source for setting the clock.

To check the time settings, double click the clock in the bottom right of your screen and click on Internet time. If there is anything wrong, you will see a message to that effect. Change the time check source to europe.pool.ntp.org - remember to click on apply after you have updated the time.

WhiteTruckMan 10:17 15 Apr 07

then try all of the above in safe mode.

WTM

hiwatt 13:51 16 Apr 07

Thanks for the response folks.The time settings are correct however it says "an error occured while windows was synchronizing with time.windows .com"I tried updating and then tried to start system restore but still wouldn't start.Still no system restore tab either?Cheers.

€dstowe 13:58 16 Apr 07

Did you change the source of the time check to the one I mentioned (this wasn't clear from your last posting) as the error with time windows and with nist continues?

Diversion 14:00 16 Apr 07

I've heard that this fixes System Restore, but I haven't had to try it yet. click here

hiwatt 14:10 16 Apr 07

Sorry.It's only letting me use 2 options(Time windows.com,Time.nist.gov)I've tried the above link also bit to no avail?

hiwatt 16:05 16 Apr 07

Just wanted to report that I got this sorted after weeks of tring everything.I got a tip to rename the system volume information folder to something similar and this worked.System restore has reapeared and is up and running.Thanks to everyone who offered help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017