System Restore on Windows XP Home

ExPara 12:29 26 Jul 03

I am unable to restore to a restore point. I am used to using the restore facility on ME, but this is the first time that I have tried to use it on XP. I have consulted the Microsoft Knowledge Base but following the information on there, the settings are correct and it should be working. I must be doing somthing wrong, but what?

Lozzy 12:51 26 Jul 03

If all your settings are correct, then your only other option is this::

Insert the win XP cd whilst your in windows then click exit when the installation wizard starts. Now click start>>run and type this sfc /scannow (note the space between then "C and /" then hit ok. This process will restore any missing files and should rectify your issue.. If not report back..

ExPara 21:31 31 Jul 03

Sorry for the delay in replying to your reply for my cry for help. Circumstances!!!
I do not have the Windows XP CD-ROM, all that I do have is a Recovery CD-ROM. Will I be able to go through the same procedure using the recovery CD?

krall 22:22 31 Jul 03

Its likely that the CD-ROM you have is WIN XP Suggest you check it out by loading it and if its XP just follow Lozzy's posting.

ExPara 14:18 05 Aug 03

Tried Lozzy's answer to my problem. Like you said, Windows XP is on my recovery CD-ROM. I encounted all sorts of problems. After trying to do a system restore, Windows started to load then I was presentd with a screen saying "auto check file missing". The screen then went to an option screen asking if I wanted to "normal start", "safe mode" and a couple of other options. It made no difference which option you chose, it all started the routine over again. I had no option but to turn the power off and hope that Windows would boot. On re-booting, I tried hitting my space bar. The reason for that is that I have, since the trouble started installed Norton GoBack. I have managed to use GoBack but I can only restore, using that programme to go back to the installation date of GoBack, which was after my original problem started. One thought is that, using what Lozzy's suggested and having GoBack installed, would it conflict? GoBack says: uninstall GoBack if you are upgrading your O/S. Maybe GoBack thinks that I am doing an upgrade.
Sorry for the on going saga, I may just forget Windows own restore facility and rely on Norton GoBack.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…