System Restore in Windows Home XP

My system Dell Dimension 2400 will not hold any restore points I manually created one on the 8th
Jan now even that has dissappeared. I have not turned system restore off in that time and I have also checked in system properties/system restore tab that it is enabled and it is set to the max 12% on the slidebar. Anyone out there have any ideas as to why?

mattyc_92 12:02 10 Jan 05

This is because System Restore removes the old "restore points" so that there is room for the new ones!! Nothing you can do I am afraid!!

rawprawn 12:18 10 Jan 05

I think that there should be a lot more than that, I have a DEll 4300 and the restore points go back into December. Have a look at this and let's see how much space is actually being used.
Open 'My computer' from the Start menu.

From the toolbar go to 'Tools > Folder Options' menu and then click the 'View' tab.

In the advanced settings option for Hidden files and folders ensure the 'show hidden files and folders' option is selected. Also ensure that 'Hide protected operating system files' option is unchecked. Then click 'OK'.

Go to your system drive (the drive where windows is installed, generally the C: drive for most users) and look for the 'System Volume Information' folder.

Double Click the 'System Volume Information' folder.

Inside you will find a '_restore' directory. Right click this directory and click on the 'Properties' option.

The 'Size on Disk' value is how much space system restore is using on this drive to store the restore points.

Repeat as necessary for other drives on the system you may have System Restore monitoring.

You could post the results so we could see what is happening.

Graham ® 12:21 10 Jan 05

Is the hard drive full?

mattyc_92 12:24 10 Jan 05

rawprawn, you shouldn't be able to access that directory!!!! You have to do a registry tweak

rawprawn 12:31 10 Jan 05

You are right, I just tried it and got "access denied", I got the instructions from MS so I thought it woud work.However I still can't understand why his system restore is only going back 2 days.

Graham ® 12:33 10 Jan 05

Is the hard drive full :-)

No the hard drive is not full but I do run C Cleaner now and again After creating a restore point and running this programme it deleated this restore point also. any thoughts one this type of programme doing this.

mattyc_92 13:30 10 Jan 05

What is the capacity for the hard-disk?

40 Gig and of that just over 4.5 gig is set for system restore to use

rawprawn 13:39 10 Jan 05

There is acleaner called "Clean Disk security" which deletes all restore points,have you got that ?, CCleaner is not a problem. As mattyc_92 asks, can you tell us the capacity and how much free space is available. I must say I thought that Graham ® was on the right track.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…