System restore on Win7 PC

bumpkin 18:39 09 Aug 15

What is the purpose of it if it never works

Secret-Squirrel 18:58 09 Aug 15

You'll stand a much better chance of success if you use the System Restore that runs outside of Windows as there's very little that can interfere with it. Simply do the F8 thingy at startup, choose "Repair your computer" then follow the prompts until you arrive at "System Recovery options" where you'll find System Restore as one of the options.

bumpkin 19:18 09 Aug 15

thanks SS, run it in safe mode, I should know that by now may need a checkup for Alzheimers.:-))

john bunyan 19:29 09 Aug 15

bumpkin

I have my HD partitioned - C: for system, programmes, and F: for self generated data including e mail. I find it easier to frequently do a mirror copy of the data partition using Freefilesynch (after the first time it takes only a couple of minutes). I do an image of the C drive using Macrium or ATI about once a week. I find system restore erratic , too.

Secret-Squirrel 19:52 09 Aug 15

........ run it in safe mode,....

Safe Mode frequently works, but it still runs under Windows, so the way I suggested will be the most reliable. Here's what I meant if you're not familiar with it:

bumpkin 20:28 09 Aug 15

Thanks SS. but not sure how to get to "Repair Your Computer" unless you mean using the DVD

Secret-Squirrel 08:36 10 Aug 15

.......not sure how to get to "Repair Your Computer".....

For big-brand computers it's the top-most option and you get to the boot-options screen by pressing F8 repeatedly at startup (just like you do for Safe Mode). However it may not be there for self-builds, so as you guessed, you'd need to startup with the installation DVD.

Or, you could use System Restore in Safe Mode instead although there's still a chance it may fail like it does in Normal mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…