System restore will not restore

jason.p 20:15 24 Apr 08

I've had a look through previous threads but haven't come up with a solution. I've been trying to use system restore on XP without success. I haven't created any restore points myself and have only been given one option, a point created last month (a highlighted date). I can't go back any further than last month. It appears to go through the restoring procedure, re-boots and I get the message that it was unable to restore to that point. It seems that system restore is enabled, what more can I do?

Ditch999 20:28 24 Apr 08

Have you run it in Safe Mode?

bobbybluenose 20:34 24 Apr 08

try turning off your firewall try system restore again if this works turn your firewall back on

citadel 20:42 24 Apr 08

maybe the reason you can not go back any further is that you have not allocated enough disc space for system restore.

Jollyjohn 21:12 24 Apr 08

Try creating a restore point, give it 24 hours and see if the system will restore to that point. During that 24 hrs install some minor free program, once restored succesfully it should be gone.

If this works then you know system restore works and that since the previous restore point there have possibly been too many changes. Some windows updates cannot be reversed for example.

john bunyan 21:17 24 Apr 08

Sometimes a bug infects the system restore. I would carefully run your anti spyware and virus scans with particular reference to restore points, in safe mode.

jason.p 22:32 24 Apr 08

Safe mode seems to have done the trick. Many thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017