system restore - unsuccessful

chugby 20:41 22 Jul 04

have a current problem with Nero 6 and Nero Support provided me with a driver clean tool to remove incompatible drivers, which did not appear to work. Had trouble with the computer system since then, to begin with unable to access IE6 (now seems ok), had a SHELL.32 error come up a couple of times and also have "unknown" windows explorer messages come up when accessing 'My Computer' which closes IE + the printer icon drops off. Things obviously not right so fell back on my windows ME system restore point but half way through the computer restarts and states unable to restore, tried a couple of different points but again unsuccessful. Had a look on Microsoft site and also generally but cant see anything about a failed restore.
Probable registry problem, I do have a registry backup completed the other day although not sure whether to restore this. Any ideas?

Djohn 22:01 22 Jul 04

click here Have a read on this thread and the link from Graham. It may help

chugby 23:27 22 Jul 04

thanks for note, had a go turning off AV but no success with restore point.

kjrider 23:34 22 Jul 04

Have you got the latest updates for ME?
On the original version, restore did not work after a certain date -2001, I think.

chugby 20:32 23 Jul 04

thanks for reply, have all the MS updates (remember that 2001 problem well!). Have done a full AV scan just in case a virus but nothing there, as keep getting "unknown explorer errors" when accessing my docs etc and closes down.
Will wait for next virus update and try restoring again per link provided by Djohn and Graham ®.

Tranestation 20:53 23 Jul 04

Had a problem with system restore.Had Net Recvery Prog.Removed it.No Problem any more.It seems so many of these problems are conflicts.Hope it's of some help to somebody.Regards Steve.

Tranestation 20:53 23 Jul 04

Had a problem with system restore.Had Net Recvery Prog.Removed it.No Problem any more.It seems so many of these problems are conflicts.Hope it's of some help to somebody.Regards Steve.

chugby 21:03 23 Jul 04

thanks for that, got me thinking has have downloaded SpySweeper to try last couple of days.
Wonder if that could be it?? cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5