System restore too space greedy

satan 12:31 25 Aug 03

My hard disk continues to fill for no apparent reason. I have limited "System Restore" to approx 3 Megabytes, but the "Restore folder" contains approx 3.3 Gigabytes of space. How can I sensibly reduce the folder size?

harry_b 12:52 25 Aug 03

The 4mb limit you have set is too small, try increasing the limit, or disable then enable sytem restore (this will remove the current restore points though), if your hard disk is becoming full for no apparent reason you should check for viruses also, turn off system restore before scanning, if you have no antivirus software a free online scan can be performed from click here.

suzie005 12:53 25 Aug 03

u need to go into control panel/system properties/performance/file system and move the restore slider to the smallest apply and ok.

jazzypop 12:53 25 Aug 03

I suspect that the previous System restore points are still being held.

Assuming you use XP -

Right-click My Computer, choose Properties > System Restore.

Select the 'Turn off System restore' option - this will delete all current Restore points. Reboot as propmted, then go back to the System retsore dialog box as outlined above.

Select the drive containing your System restore files, click Settings, define your SYstem Restore file size.

3MB is fairly pointless - it is simply not big enough to retain anything worthwhile. I suggest a minimum of 1GB, or take a chance and disable it altogether. If you do, it is prudent to regularly backup your system using a disk imaging program.

Mike 12:53 25 Aug 03

Not too sure but I think you have to turn it off, and then set the size limit. this should reclaim the space.

suzie005 12:54 25 Aug 03

mine is set at 200mb

User-312386 12:58 25 Aug 03

Size is between 10-12% the size of the hard disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…