System Restore – Restoration Incomplete!

GroupFC 22:41 09 Jun 03

I have been trying to use the XP system restore to restore my computer to an earlier time. Using system restore tool, I can see that I have several recent restore points, some of which are system check points and some of which are manual points I have created myself.

The problem is that no matter which point I choose, the process goes alright until it re-boots and then I get a message that restoration was incomplete and no changes have been made.

Can anybody shed any light on what the problem may be. I would add that I am something of a novice in this area, so an idiot’s guide would be appreciated!

VoG™ 22:43 09 Jun 03

Why it happens I don't know but I have had the same thing (once only).

What did you do prior to this to make you want to restore?

GroupFC 22:50 09 Jun 03

I can't honestly remember!

It's just that I have a few strange things happen on of which is that "guest" has suddenly appeared on the log on screen (I hadn't even noticed until my 5 year old asked what it was!).I thought if I restored it to a few days ago this may disappear!

VoG™ 22:54 09 Jun 03

Try a repair click here

GroupFC 23:09 09 Jun 03

I thought that might be the suggested answer.

I have never used the repair option. Presumably all this does is overwrite the systems files and leaves all the programs and personal files in place or have I not learned anything from spending some much time lurking on this Forum?

VoG™ 23:11 09 Jun 03

Yes, all your stuff will be OK - we hope. As a precaution back up anything that is desperately important.

GroupFC 23:24 09 Jun 03

I am away to my bed now. I will have a look in in the morning, for any more offerings and leave the repair option 'til later in the week when my brain is more in gear. (You probably realise I am extremely nervous of doing this in case I c--- it up even more!).

Danoh 23:30 09 Jun 03

Your programs and data will be retained, but I think some of your settings will be lost; IE Favourites, etc. This can be a real pain to re-do if you have loads of personalised set ups.

Apart from the "Guest" login appearing, what else has happened which stops you from performing tasks on your PC? It may be too drastic to do a re-install of Windows if they are only cosmetic settings which can be re-set instead?

GroupFC 09:17 10 Jun 03

Having read a few of the other postings and having looked into this problem as far as I am able, I think that I am getting the restoration incomplete message, because I b-----d things up the other day, when the whole thing froze and I just switched off the system and then switched back on again (I know but I did say that I am a complete novice!).

Danoh, I think you are probably right, as everything seems to be working fine at the moment (famous last words!).

GroupFC 15:24 27 Jun 03

I don't know how, but last night I had the need to use system restore and it worked. I did note however that I only had a couple of months worth of restore points, so perhaps it didn't work before because of a lack of available space?

Anyway, at least it's back working (rapidly touching wood!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…