System Restore Problems

jlp 14:14 22 Apr 03

I have just installed IE6 from one of the pcadvisor cover disks. Unfortunately after the install I could no longer connect to the internet (via blueyonder).

I therefore decided to restore the system back to the restore point before the install - big mistake - it didn't restore IE5 but from then on the pc would only boot (occasionally) in safe mode - hanging when trying to load AVGCORE.DLL. After much rebooting and fiddling in msconfig - I finally got the system sort of working.

I am still getting a message cannot find NEWDOT~1.DLL when I boot up.

Sorry this is a bit of an epic, any thoughts on what happened and how I can get rid of this message?

bab5 14:28 22 Apr 03

jhp,

try looking at this page mate

click here

it's Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 302463

it looks like its a third party add on thats the problem,more that likly for this list.

Go!Zilla
BearShare
MP3.com
iMesh
Babylon
Cydoor
Webshots
gDivx

Darran

bab5 14:30 22 Apr 03

try agin for that link

click here

darran

jlp 15:16 22 Apr 03

Thanks for that - I have just spotted it is NEWDOt~2.DLL that is missing , sorry. I am also getting a script error when trying to print in IE6 - I do not know if this is related.

bab5 16:17 22 Apr 03

jlp,

might be mate if the IE addin is kacked, have you tried installing whatever you bolted on toIE,

reinstalling the progame might cure it for you??

Darran

Mango Grummit 19:26 22 Apr 03

Disable System Restore, get rid of AVG, do a jv16 registry fix & cleanup.

Check then that you're OK again, enable System Restore and reinstall AVG.

AVG does not rub along well with System Restore on some machines so if you that AVGCORE prob popping up again it may be best to change AVG for something else. There's plenty of free AVs about that are at least as good.

jlp 19:34 22 Apr 03

Thanks for responding -

Bab5, I think you are right - I will try uninstalling IE6 - is there an uninstall program or do I do add/remove?

Mango - I understood what you were suggesting except for the jv16 registry fix bit - what is that?

Mango Grummit 20:18 22 Apr 03

click here for jv16.

When you've downloaded come back if you need help. Many folks on here use jv16.

Regards, M

bab5 20:18 22 Apr 03

jlp,

here goes;Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/highlight the "IE" entry,and click on "Add/Remove".You'll then be offered the option,(1 of 3),to "Repair".

or have a read here click here;en-us;Q293907&id=kb;en-us;Q293907

you might be looking at reinstalling ME mate, perhaps one of the clever people might be able to get a bit further for you.

Darran

ps try running Ad-aware from click here first

Mango Grummit 20:43 22 Apr 03

Going out now, plenty people are able to help if you use jv16 but I've looked up this old thread where you can seek info as what to do if you need it click here

Regards, M

jlp 20:37 24 Apr 03

Thanks for the help. I think the system is back to normal now. Bizarely most of the problems seemed to be caused by Zone alarm, which was still installed but not active. Somehow installing IE6 caused it to reactivate and block access to the internet etc. Don't know if anyone has experienced this sort of problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…