system restore problem again.

morris948 12:50 27 Dec 04

I have encountered a problem with the system restore points dissapearing again.
This time, i have found the event viewer has given some details:--

'The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000011E' while processing the file '_textpad.exe' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume'.

I have tried to search for 'textpad.exe' but it does not exist on my hard drive.
does anyone have any experiences as to solve this problem?

Im using Win XP SP2

alan227 12:52 27 Dec 04

Have you looked in the hidden system folders.

VoG II 12:55 27 Dec 04

click here

Try a scan with a² click here

morris948 15:12 27 Dec 04

Thanks Vog
do you believe it to be a virus?
I am using pc-cillin 2005 internet security and is up to date, but it has not detected any threat.

What do you want me to look at in the hidden system folders?

VoG II 15:29 27 Dec 04

Searching Google for _textpad.exe gives four hits - all of them to do with the trojan Frutca. Anti-virus programs are nat always good at spotting trojans. I would scan with a² which is good at finding and removing trojans.

morris948 19:49 27 Dec 04

You were right, i used A2 and it found the textpad.exe virus.

It's now cleaned, and i will find out if my restore points hold properly in the next few days.

Its very annoying that i take all the steps to prevent infections by paying for internet security only to find it doesnt work properly.

It makes you wonder just how many PC's are infected when people think they are safe.

morris948 10:58 28 Dec 04

Thanks to Vog, for providing me with the link to A2. it found 5 malware programs that my antivirus program didnt.
My system restore points are holding and my PC-Cillin 2005 internet security now loads up properly in the taskbar, before it would hang at bootup and had to be restarted manualy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…