System Restore Problem

rnsa 20:41 02 Apr 10

If I try to restore my system it seems to go through ok but then says it could not restore to the date I required--try another date. But I get the same result. Can anyone help please ?

birdface 20:59 02 Apr 10

Try it in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.]

Technotiger 21:00 02 Apr 10

Are you clicking on the correct dates - only those shown in Bold print are restore points.

john 52 22:12 02 Apr 10

I had a similar problem and found that when I removed Zone Alarm and installed a different firewall it sorted out the problem .
I was able to do a restore in safe mode with Zone alarm though

rdave13 22:41 02 Apr 10

Trouble with restoring in safe mode is that all other restore points are lost. You start afresh.
Depending on the OS, highlighted restore points aren't an issue.
So I'd take a gamble and go for buteman's suggestion, as you seem to have no other option.

Sea Urchin 23:08 02 Apr 10

"Trouble with restoring in safe mode is that all other restore points are lost"

I nearly always have to perform system restore in safe mode on my XP system - in fact I did one the other day - and all my restore points are still there as always. What you can't do is reverse the changes if it's been done in safe mode.

rdave13 23:18 02 Apr 10

I apologise if not being able to put my theory in to practical words. You can't undo any restore point you use in safe mode. So if you go back to your first restore point in system restore, in safe mode, then you are well and truly stuffed.
Thanks for pointing it out Sea Urchin.

rnsa 20:35 04 Apr 10

Thank you all for your help and advice.
I have tried it with Zone Alarm un-installed. Didn't make any difference. I have not as yet tried it in safe-mode as, at this time, it has not been convenient and the need to do it has not been pressing. Will try it as soon as I can and will let you know thw result.
Thank each and every one of you again.
rnsa.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…