System Restore Problem

Winxx 16:53 16 Feb 08

My system restore does not restore. It runs, goes through all the points, re-boots, but the message I ALWAYS get is that the system could not restore!

I ended up going through eRecovery and returning to factory settings through the hidden partition, but im worried that if i need to use system restore again it wont work.

... why is it doing this?

beeuuem 16:58 16 Feb 08

Many firewalls, but particularly Norton, protect themselves from change which prevents System Restore from working.
Before you do a restore turn off your firewall. eg click here

gardener 17:02 16 Feb 08

System restore isn't the most reliable way to get your computer working again, something to do with registry entries I think (I'm probably wrong and will be corrected). I would suggest you buy a copy of Acronis True Image and make a copy of your disk, it images the entire OS and all settings so if disaster strikes you've got a good copy to fall back on.

Pineman100 18:11 16 Feb 08

Next time you want to use System Restore, restart your computer in Safe Mode first.

It will often work in Safe Mode when it won't in normal mode. Just be aware that a restore carried out in Safe Mode can't be undone afterwards.

muddypaws 19:28 16 Feb 08

Never worked for me till I ditched Norton for AVG free. Restore now works every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…