System Restore Problem

Tranestation 09:24 25 Jan 07

Hopefully someone may be able to help. Using XP with SP2. I tried a couple of system restores but they seem to fail on any chosen date. Tried again to reboot using F10 but get get a mesage "Stop C0000218 (System File Failure) The Registry cannot load the hive file
\SystemRoot\system32\config\SECURITY or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent or not writeable"
Any suggestions as to cause or cure for this problem ? Regards Mary Q.

VoG II 09:44 25 Jan 07

Is it this message? click here

Tranestation 12:26 25 Jan 07

VoG....Thanks for your reply. The page does show the error message but I checked the System Properties and there appears to be a number with OEM contained within it.Would this indicate an OEM installed operating system and does this make all of the information irrelevent or is the Guded Help option the next step.....it seems confusing and does not seem to indicate what to do if you do have an OEM installed O/S, unless I am missing some info on the page. Thanks in advance..Mary Q

Tranestation 12:32 25 Jan 07

VoG....Having just re-read the whole page I have noticed that my error message is as I originally posted. The nearest error message on the page is the error containing C 0000218, but my message has Security rather than Software. Any difference ? Regards Mary Q

Tranestation 12:32 25 Jan 07

VoG....Having just re-read the whole page I have noticed that my error message is as I originally posted. The nearest error message on the page is the error containing C 0000218, but my message has Security rather than Software. Any difference ? Regards Mary Q

VoG II 12:35 25 Jan 07

You should not attempt to use that method with your OEM installation.

I'm a bit unclear - can you actually get into Windows?

Tranestation 12:42 25 Jan 07

VoG...Thanks again for your reply, and sorry for the double posting. The strange thing is as far as I can see all seems to be well apart from not being able to use SR.....although I understand that some folks dont bother with it. Should I try a restore with Norton disabled or just get rid of the restore points if I cant actually go back to any of them !!!. Regards Mary Q

VoG II 12:50 25 Jan 07

If you turn SR off then on again that should clear all your existing restore points click here

Troubleshooting SR click here

Tranestation 10:27 25 Jun 07

I don't know if this helps anyone else but having given up the ghost with Norton, I removed ALL Norton products from my PC and hey presto I can System Restore again. Regards Mary Q.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…