System restore points missing

neednsumhelp 22:36 13 Jan 04

My computer was recently infected with a virus.

The virus has now been purged, but damage has already been done.

I previously had some restore points dated December 2003, but for some reason i cannot cycle back .

Is this a change caused by the Virus or the New year?

Also is it possible to recover/locate the 2003 restore points?

Many thanks.

VoG II 22:40 13 Jan 04

Did you disable SR to get rid of the virus? If so all restore points are gone. If your system is now working correctly then ensure SR is turned on and create a manual restore point. click here

maverick1 22:45 13 Jan 04

You don't say which virus it was but some such as blasterworm will drop into the restore point files thereby reactivating the virus if you restore the system ( you restore your system and the live virus ) it may be therefore that the purging has deleted the retore files as they contained the virus.

anyway assuming that the system is working as you wish why do you want the old system restore points anyway? If you like to keep them then go ahead and create as many as you want. Also they could go missing as windows has a size limit on the system restore files and works on getting rid of the oldest first.

Incidentally you don't say what OS you are using.
but if you do you will get much better answers as this feture works differently in each version.

neednsumhelp 22:48 13 Jan 04

No. The system restore has points in January this year. Unfortunatly they are all AFTER the virus damaged the system.

System Restore was not disabled, but i can no longer acces restore poinTs made before January.

I hope somebody can help.

neednsumhelp 22:51 13 Jan 04

I am using Windows XP pro.

The virus had damaged several programs of which i have no means to repair or replace. The only way to fix the programs is to restore the computer to a point before the virus damaged them.

The viruse was called Trojan Byte verify if it helps.

hugh-265156 23:01 13 Jan 04

depending on the ammount of disk space allocated to system restore,it will start over writing previous restore points when the limit is reached.

2% on a 40 gig drive gives me about 2 weeks worth or so before it starts over writing them.

you can increase the disk space in control panel/system/system restore

what are the programs that are not working?

neednsumhelp 23:25 13 Jan 04

Internet explorer 6 is the main program not working. I have just attempted to repair IE6 but it doesn't appear to have worked.

On some links that open new windows, the cpu performence jumps from around 10% to 100% and stays there and doesn't move. The only way is to restart the computer.

hugh-265156 23:51 13 Jan 04

this link posted by VoG may help you click here

hugh-265156 23:55 13 Jan 04

DOH!

just noticed your other thread. :-)

click here

VoG II 23:56 13 Jan 04

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…