System Restore Points Fail

AJ25 14:29 25 Oct 06

I try to use system restore, select a restore point and it runs the process un until re-boot. Following re-boot, I get the message that the restore was unsuccessful and no changes have been made.

Running Win XP Pro

any idea why this is?

rawprawn 14:35 25 Oct 06

The most likely reason is that the restore points are corrupt. Open System Restore/Settings/ tick the box to turn System restore off and reboot. then turn system restore back on. (You will lose all prevoius restore points, but it should make a new one when you turn it on again.

AJ25 14:37 25 Oct 06

Means I won;t be able to resolve the reason I want to restore now though but OK.. I guess if I can't anyway as they are corrupt, there's not much point in leaving them there

Technotiger 14:38 25 Oct 06

Hi, try an ealier date than the one you just tried - make sure the date you choose is shown in Bold print. Also read this, especially near the bottom of the page.

click here

Cheers

rawprawn 14:39 25 Oct 06

That is correct, if they are not working they are no use anyway.
You can always test the new restore point by doing a restore to it to make certain all is well.

SANTOS7 14:46 25 Oct 06

Why do need to use system restore, post the problem you are having we may be able to help..

woodchip 14:48 25 Oct 06

From Link "Use Windows Backup"! that's even more flaky than Restore

Technotiger 14:56 25 Oct 06

Hi, I didn't make myself clear, I was trying to steer the AJ25 towards Troubleshooting System Restore (near the bottom of the page).

AJ25 15:04 25 Oct 06

See my other post re Nokia Install Problems to see why I am looking to restore.

Been a horror story TBH

Lettervanman 16:24 25 Oct 06

Do you have Norton? It can stop restore working.

skeletal 16:24 25 Oct 06

Make sure you have turned off your anti-virus software (you may have to go into device manager). When mine is running, it prevents system restore from working.

Some people report that Zone Alarm prevents system restore from working as well, so turn this off (if you have it, obviously).

I recommend pulling the plug out from your modem first.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…