System Restore points clear daily

GLUGG 08:27 04 Jul 06

I had a trojan and after getting rid of it turned off System Restore and turned it back on. Now it will keep the restore point for today but yesterday's has vanished. How can I get System Restore to save more than todays checkpoint?
Xp home sp2

Diodorus Siculus 08:34 04 Jul 06

Help and Support
"• You start the Disk Cleanup utility, click the More Options tab, and then click Clean up under System Restore. When you do this, all restore points (except the most recent one) are deleted.
• You are running low on disk space, but not so low that System Restore stops performing. System Restore deletes some of the restore points, but not all of them. This occurs because System Restore uses a First In First Out (FIFO) process to decrease the size of the data store to approximately 75 percent of its maximum size when the data store reaches approximately 90 percent of its maximum size. The maximum size may be the default size, or it may be set by the user. System Restore performs this deletion regardless of how much disk space you have."
click here;en-us;301224

Diodorus Siculus 08:35 04 Jul 06

click here for the URL

spuds 08:35 04 Jul 06

You say that you had a trojan. What was it called, and how did you get rid of it!.

Jackcoms 08:35 04 Jul 06

Try repairing Windows.

Sometimes the system files (those required to run Windows properly) can become corrupted.

Here's how to run a check on your system files:
• Click Start; Run.
• In the Run box, type cmd.exe to open the command prompt window.
• At the prompt, type sfc.exe /scannow
• Press ENTER. If Windows finds problems with the system files, you will be prompted to insert your Windows XP installation CD to restore the files.

If no problems are found and the scan finishes, type exit and press ENTER.

GLUGG 09:38 04 Jul 06

After going to Diodorus Siculus's link I checked the free space on my partitions and found that one has only 45mb free space (it has Bootmagic on it) so have turned off monitoring for that drive. Of course, I won't know if it's cured untill tomorrow.

Spuds the trojan was Zlob-kv I ran Avast but it kept coming back so I turned off system restore and checked start up programs with Mike lins startup control. Found Rgperf.exe was the culprit, searched and eventually deleted it.

thanks all

GLUGG 18:43 05 Jul 06

I still have yesterday's restore points so I think the problem's solved.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…