system restore - please remind me how

paul 20:16 20 Oct 03

I am ahving a few problems with missing files and want to restore a previous good protocol - mental block on how though - I am running windows 98 SE help please

AubreyS 20:20 20 Oct 03

Not with 98 you won't unless someone know's something I don't.

spikeychris 20:21 20 Oct 03

Your OK, your not having a mental block...system restore doesn't work work Win98.

spikeychris 20:22 20 Oct 03

Start > run > type SFC and under options select fix all (words to that effect) Have the installation disk in the drive.

AubreyS 20:26 20 Oct 03

Chris, would he be able to use scanreg\restore?

lin_ 21:04 20 Oct 03

1} Boot system to a command prompt. Do this by pressing F8 or the CTRL key as soon as Win98 starts to boot.
If you were successful, you are looking at a menu. If not, wait for windows to start completely (assuming it does) and then click "Start", "Shutdown", "Restart" and try again.

2} Highlight the "Command Prompt Only" option and hit Enter.

3} At the prompt type "scanreg /restore" and hit Enter.

4} Unless you have modified the scanreg.ini file, you should see a list of 5 files named RB0*.CAB. You will also see a date/time stamp for each .CAB file.

5} Choose the .CAB file you would like to restore (pick a date/time stamp of when the system was last known to be working or one you created before making a change) and hit Enter.

6} Scanreg will attempt to backup the current registry and then try to extract the one you chose. If you get an error "RESTORE OPERATION FAILED", repeat above and select the next older .CAB and try again. Be careful, every time you try to restore a .CAB it will backup the current registry. After 5 failures all you would have left is 5 copies of the current registry.

7} If you were successful, you will see a message "You have restored a known good registry". Reboot and Windows should startup normally. 8} Be aware that any applications you installed or changes you had made (drivers) since the time you backed up the registry you just restored will have to be done again.

lin_ 21:07 20 Oct 03

Make sure there is a space after scanreg

3} At the prompt type "scanreg /restore" and hit Enter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…