System restore not working

peg leg 17:00 18 Apr 05

Hi all,
I have tried using system restore on my PC running XP and although I do everything OK after windows restarts I get the message "your computer cannot be restored".
I have been having problems with my printer and also some other programs.
Any ideas.
System restore is switched on.

Jak_1 17:07 18 Apr 05

Sounds like the file has become corrupt! I had this problem with Win Me but not with XP. Does your recovery disk give the option to restore system files without losing data files?

peg leg 19:13 18 Apr 05

Hi jak_1,
Thanks for your reply, no I can't see anything on the recovery disc that mentions that.
Would I meet with any problems if I just reinstalled completely from the recovery disc?

peg leg 19:39 18 Apr 05

After reading an article about system restore I have gone to control panel-administrative tools-event viewer-system.
There are a number of entries saying Warning TCPIP and a yellow ! also a lot of entries with a red X and service control manager.
Does this begin to look like trouble!

Jak_1 19:55 18 Apr 05

Is your antivirus up to date? Possible virus attack!

3rdday 20:31 18 Apr 05

Your probelms with the printer, etc. and the messages in the event log probably aren't related, either to each other, or to the non-functioning Windows Restore.

Windows Restore on XP does seem to just not work on some PCs. This happened with my first PC three years ago. Not knowing any better at the time, I just gave up on it. When I later had to reinstall XP, Windows Restore worked fine afterwards. When I had a problem with it on another another PC, by this time I had discovered how to disable and enable it, after which it worked okay too. None of this helps, unfortunately, if you need to use Windows Restore now and it doesn't work, as disabling and re-enabling wipes out any restore points that you already have.

Jak_1 21:32 18 Apr 05

I would be tempted to do a reinstall; at this stage having backed up all data files that you want to keep. Then have all your proggie disks ready for after the install.

squareye 22:43 18 Apr 05

Does System Restore not work at all? or just back to one particular restore point? What if you create a new restore point? I've had situations where it wont restore to a particular point, but works on others, as said previously, a file may be corrupt. Do you have the default amount of space allocated to System restore, or has it been changed?

peg leg 22:58 18 Apr 05

System restore is not working at all!
I have clicked on all the dates in bold and I still get "your computer cannot be restored".
I have the default amount of space(12% of the hard disc)!

stalion 23:04 18 Apr 05

click here;en-us;302796

Fjellman 00:23 19 Apr 05

I had exactly the same problem. The answer was a Microsoft Patch which has been available for some time. I can't point you directly to it but it's easy to track down on the Ms website and it cured the problem instantly. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…