System Restore Just does not Restore

989Terry 07:25 18 Aug 05

have found that when it really matters the Windows XP Home SP 2 System Restore just does not work for me. No matter what restore point I pick it just comes up "no changes have been made" and all you can do is exit. I have tried increasing the cache size. I have deleted all restore points and starting again. It will work for a while but then when I need it seem problem. Tried Safe Mode. Same Thing. I have trawled the internet looking for solutions thinking there would be plenty but not so. There must be some sort of conflict with my software I expect. I run Norton Internet Security 2005. Does anyone else have this problem ? I was thinking of disabling it and buying Symantec Go Back. Any opinions please ?

rawprawn 08:18 18 Aug 05

Try a system file scan. Start/Run/ type sfc /scannow you will need your XP disc.(Watch the space between sfc and /)

Batch 09:44 18 Aug 05

If you can live without doing a restore now, can you switch off System Restore, reboot, switch it on again and reboot? If it works, this should reset the whole System Restore set-up.

This has worked for me in the past when System Restore has got itself in a muddle (albeit under WinME and I'm not sure if it works the same in WinXP).

In WinME, switching System Restore on and off is accessed via Control Panel > System, click on Performance Tab, click on File System, click on Troubleshooting tab and Disable Restore is one of the options listed.

989Terry 10:04 18 Aug 05

Thanks Guys.
Tried Rawprawn's suggestion of sfc /scannow.
A dialogue box came up Windows File Protection. "Please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions"
This ran for about 10 minutes then just disappears so presume that no fault was found.

I will try Batch's suggestion and report back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…