System Restore has stopped working

bumpkin 12:55 09 Jan 15
Answered

Hi, XP pro on desktop, System Restore says it has encountered an error and will no longer work. Also can't get it to start in safe mode to try that. Asus motherboard. Make of machine unknown.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:00 09 Jan 15

Start run type

sfc /scannow

let windows find and replace mising / corrupt files

retry on completion.

bumpkin 13:49 09 Jan 15

Thanks, I did that and it requires the CD which I have put in, which is the correct option.

bumpkin 13:50 09 Jan 15

Or should I have put the CD in first?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:16 09 Jan 15

Put it in when it asks for the CD, it should then look for the files needed off the CD.

bumpkin 14:21 09 Jan 15

It seems to have done that and brings up a window "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" is this correct.

bumpkin 16:28 09 Jan 15

Anyone?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 09 Jan 15

No.

Put the XP CD (not recovery disk) in the drive do not run it

start sfc scannow again

Bris 16:33 09 Jan 15

Maybe FB could confirm this but I seem to remember that XP SFC works differently from later versions of windows in that later versions keep a copy of the critical system files on the HDD that are kept updated.

The problem here seems to be that SFC wants to restore files from the issue CD which will be out of date and that by doing so could replace files that have been updated and thus cause more problems than it cures. Could be wrong!

Try this as an alternative.

bumpkin 17:37 09 Jan 15

thanks for the replies, I have the correct CD in the drive, not a recovery disk but thanks for mentioning that. I have run scannow maybe 6 times, it displays a window "Windows File Protection" and shows a progress bar which takes about 10mins to complete then just vanishes from the screen with no message as to what it has or has not done. A reboot seems the only thing to try with no information but that fails also.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 09 Jan 15

just vanishes from the screen with no message as to what it has or has not done.

its completed successfully

now run windows update.

on xp files are checked against dll cache vista / 7 its surchk I think and windows 8 is DSIM

if it had to replace files from the CD then update is needed as theses file will possibly be old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now