system restore freeze .. help

QUADDRA 20:54 14 Jan 07

Hi,

I was having problems with windows media player going green and quicktime would not work so followed all Microsoft instructions with no success finally advised to restore system to earlier point but system restore stopped about 2 3rds through, left it over night but woke to find it in same place so reset. Windows starts up fine but not working properly.

Tried restore again a number of times but everytime it says unable to complete try another point... now ran out of other restore points and patience

Open internet explorer window but if you type a web address in address box, it says-
The Specified module could not be found
I found my way to pc advisor through the google search box which seems to work... to a point.

Click search no window opens, nothing happens.
Click help and support no window opens, nothing happens.

Tried sfc /scannow runs, but no different.
Tried to run microsoft safety.live.com but when you hit the scan and repair it says
The Specified module could not be found

Dont know what else to do
Any ideas?

System Spec….
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
CPU Athalon 64 3000 (no mods or overclocking etc)
MB Asus K8V SE Deluxe
512Mb PC3200 DDR Memory 400MHz
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT
160GB Hard Drive

Running Avast,(No virus found) Zone Alarm, spybot, Ad-Aware.

Thanks for any help

skidzy 21:35 14 Jan 07

One option you could try if you are not worried about losing restore points,is to disable system restore/reboot and enable SR.Though remember you will lose all restore points.

Though first i would try Firefox browser click here and see if you can access the net better.If you can,its an IE problem...what version of IE are you using ?

If using IE6 try this click here this does not work with IE7

QUADDRA 22:04 14 Jan 07

Hi thanks Skidzy,

A couple of questions,
If I disable system restore/reboot and enable SR, how will this correct the problems I have? I’m not worried about losing restore points as none work.

I was using IE 7 but when system restore was used it reverted to IE 6.

The problem isn’t just with explorer as if you go “start” then “help and support” or “search” nothing happens.

Also Messenger has completely disappeared , probably something to do with the system restore freeze, maybe I lost some files when I had to reset?

The other problem is if I type click here I get The Specified module could not be found so cant get to downloads for IE 7

Also a bit worried about navigating away from the forum as it took hours to get it to work and last link I clicked gave “The Specified module could not be found” and froze explorer and couldn’t get back in for ages.

Urggg ever want to kick the thing?

QUADDRA 22:10 14 Jan 07

The other problem is if I type click here I get The Specified module could not be found so cant get to downloads for IE 7

Should be ...

The other problem is if I CLICK click here I get The Specified module could not be found so cant get to downloads for IE 7

SORRY

skidzy 22:16 14 Jan 07

Are you using IE6 now ?

Any error codes to go with “The Specified module could not be found”

Maybe reinstalling SR click here

Have you tried the IE fix i posted earlier ?

Also run your av in safe mode,and spybot and adaware.
F8 on startup will get you into safemode.

Apologies if you cannot access the links.

skidzy 22:16 14 Jan 07

Sorry didnt refresh

skidzy 22:17 14 Jan 07

Can you try and download Firefox from somewhere via google,not sure if this will help...but may give you a stable browser.

thms 22:20 14 Jan 07

Have a look here
click here

QUADDRA 22:28 14 Jan 07

Problem
I cant navigate away from pcadvisor forum now, even if I wanted. If I click on the click here links I get "The Specified module could not be found" and if I try to type www.*whatever* in the address box I get "The Specified module could not be found"
getting closer to kicking it

thms 22:30 14 Jan 07

Here's what the link says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman
When ever i try to download something on internet explorer a message saying 'The specified module could not be found'
can someone please help me?

does this happen when you try to install the software?

You will need to check if the windows installer is running . Click start>run type services.msc and check if the installer is running. if it is not running restart it

QUADDRA 22:37 14 Jan 07

Hi thms,
Just tried Click start>run type services.msc a Services….. window opens with Services (Local) one side and an empty box on the other

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…