system restore - error 0xc0000005

awest3 19:12 16 Jan 05

I cant seem to get system retore to used to work..and work well ..I used it quite a few times to get me out of trouble. now when I click on system restore it fails with 0xc0000005..and creates a microsoft error report.

I've also just noticed that 'user accounts' in control panel does exactly the same..i presume I've altered or lost a componant but can't find out would be appreciated. i've tried as many of the stop/re-boot/start, check variuos items are started..etc no avail.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 16 Jan 05

What op system XP?

REpair XP
click here
sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.

This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

awest3 19:26 16 Jan 05

Hi fruitbat,

Thanks for that....yes XP service pack 2, I tried using that command but it did not find any errors.

awest3 19:38 16 Jan 05

let me rephrase that....I run the command, it asks for the XP disk..I have to hit retry a few then give me a progress bar...which completes....but then nothing..I assumed that this meant all was I missing something..?

VoG II 20:17 16 Jan 05

You are correct - SFC has run and didn't find an error. It's a shame that Microsoft didn't think to include a message to that effect.

This is not quite the same click here

See if you get the same error in Search etc. If you do it might be worth trying the fix mentioned.

awest3 21:37 16 Jan 05

Hi VoG,

thanks for this, both ran successfully.

awest3 23:32 16 Jan 05

so I still have the same problem....

any more ideas..?

awest3 21:56 12 Apr 05

Resolved...still do not know quite why....I used registry mechanic to clean up the registry, restored a dll or two and we are back up working...
Thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…