System restore doesn't work on Windows XP

lisalab1 13:15 11 Apr 14

Hi

My computer crashed whiles I was updating Firefox and downloading an online game from steam.

I was given the blue screen of death but I restarted my computer and login in as normal per user name, a messaged appeared saying that windows had recovered from a serious error. I have tried to roll back using system restore but the dates it has given me is not working and saying its incomplete every time.

When I login on my computer the same error message appears but no blue screen.

Has windows ended that support for windows xp?

Is there any way around this except moving to another operating system as my computer is quite old it wouldn't have enough space and memory to handle it.

lotvic 13:24 11 Apr 14

"Has windows ended that support for windows xp?"

No, it has nothing to do with that. The support that has ended is the Security Updates. Nothing else was ever supported unless you had a contract with MS.

Have you tried unplugging all extras - printer and anything attached by usb and unplug the ethernet cable (internet) - then booting up into Safe Mode and trying the System Restore.

lisalab1 10:03 14 Apr 14

I have tried rebooting in safe mode by pressing F8 which I keeping get the blue screen to select boot device then I have to press escape out of it then press F8 again to get safe mode. Is that right?

Again when I tried to restore back to any date in the pass it still says "Restoration Incomplete" under two user names that have computer administration right. When the computer is restoring itself and restart do I still need to login in still in safe mode or normal?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:06 14 Apr 14

Is windows working OK other than the fact that system restore won't work?

System restore may be failing because you have a corrupt restore point.

The best way is to switch of system restore - reboot and switch restore back on again, this will remove all restore points.

This is only any good if the PC is working OK now! as you will no longer have any restore points to go back to.

If PC has a few problems try Start - Run type

sfc /scannow

press OK

windows will scan for and replace any missing or corrupt windows files (note this will take awhile)

When complete do the suggestion above to clear system restore.

lotvic 13:44 15 Apr 14

As the message is telling you pc has recovered from a serious error and you don't get blue screen, I would follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s excellent advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009