system restore and defragmenter problems xp pro

Nigel3030 18:42 15 May 05

I have just got a second hand computer running xp pro. It's a 1.8ghz amd, 2 40 gig hard drives, 256mb memory and is my first experience of windows xp. I have 2 problems as follows:
1. system restore isn't working. It isn't present under accessories/system tools and when accessed via C\windows\system32\restore, clicking on rstrui doesn't do anything.
2. Disk defragmenter isn't working. When I bring it up, select the drive and go to defrag nothing happens. If I try from a command prompt it comes up with 'windows is unable to connect to the defragmentation engine.
I have no other error messages on either and can't find anything on the microsoft site so can anyone help please?

clayton 18:55 15 May 05

Go into Conrol Panel/system & click on the System Restore tab & check that its turned on.

Nigel3030 19:40 16 May 05

Thanks and sorry for the delay in replying!
I have looked in control panel but don't have a tab for system restore under system!

clayton 20:52 16 May 05

strange.....might be a new option with sp2.

Nigel3030 23:41 16 May 05

Yeah could be. I have got service pack 2 and was going to give it a try but wanted a restore point just in case (having heard some horror stories!)Bit of a catch 22 but I might have to give it a go and see what happens!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…