system restore and defragmenter problems xp pro

Nigel3030 18:42 15 May 05

I have just got a second hand computer running xp pro. It's a 1.8ghz amd, 2 40 gig hard drives, 256mb memory and is my first experience of windows xp. I have 2 problems as follows:
1. system restore isn't working. It isn't present under accessories/system tools and when accessed via C\windows\system32\restore, clicking on rstrui doesn't do anything.
2. Disk defragmenter isn't working. When I bring it up, select the drive and go to defrag nothing happens. If I try from a command prompt it comes up with 'windows is unable to connect to the defragmentation engine.
I have no other error messages on either and can't find anything on the microsoft site so can anyone help please?

clayton 18:55 15 May 05

Go into Conrol Panel/system & click on the System Restore tab & check that its turned on.

Nigel3030 19:40 16 May 05

Thanks and sorry for the delay in replying!
I have looked in control panel but don't have a tab for system restore under system!

clayton 20:52 16 May 05

strange.....might be a new option with sp2.

Nigel3030 23:41 16 May 05

Yeah could be. I have got service pack 2 and was going to give it a try but wanted a restore point just in case (having heard some horror stories!)Bit of a catch 22 but I might have to give it a go and see what happens!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch