System Restore - Cannot restore to earlier date

compumac 17:45 14 Nov 05

Problem with System Restore in that “Cannot restore to an earlier date”
I have two hard discs each split into 4 partitions. System restore has been monitoring all of these and may be the cause of the problem of being unable to restore ‘C’ back to an earlier date.

Would I be correct in that, if I switch off monitoring all of the drives/partitions and then switch monitoring of ‘C’ only it might be likely that Restore might function, albeit from that time onwards.

Or are there any other suggestions?

compumac 20:03 14 Nov 05

woodchip 20:16 14 Nov 05

It may work But I do not let Restore work on any only C:\ there is no need for it only on the OS partition

BigMoFoT 20:35 14 Nov 05

turn off System Restore then all restore points are automatically deleted. Turning it off on all drives apart from C will not make any difference. If system restore doesn't work then there is nothing that you can do. Technically it's just a fancy registry tool, similar to scanreg /restore that we had in 98/ME. But as Woodchip says just monitor drive C, you don't need to monitor the rest as you just use up valuable disk space.

What exactly is your problem? We may be able to help...

compumac 20:45 14 Nov 05

It is just that I installed a programme that I decided to remove, but thought I would simply use System Restore to go back before the installation. Unfortunately System Restore was not able to do this, so I removed the programme using Control panel/Add remove programmes. But obviously I would prefer that System Restore functions correctly being a very useful tool.

I had tried to restore to points before the insatallation but with the same result

Any thoughts on getting System Restore to work effectively would be appreciated.

woodchip 20:58 14 Nov 05

You now have to stop restore on C: also switch it off and press Apply then switch it back on set it to 8% of C:\ turn all other drives off. It will now work but any old restore points will be gone

compumac 21:11 14 Nov 05

Is it really as easy as that? it seems so simple.

woodchip 21:12 14 Nov 05

Yes that's it

woodchip 21:13 14 Nov 05

After you turn it back on it auto creates a restore point run it and try

compumac 21:50 14 Nov 05

Thanks. It worked a treat.
I just wonder as to the original cause of the problem being too many drives being involved?

woodchip 21:52 14 Nov 05

It got corrupted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…