system restore cannot restore

Lemur 14:38 02 Jun 06

My system is Windows XP.

I have tried to use System Restore to rescue me from my * installing an Unsigned Driver * for a webcam I have just bought. Unfortunately, the S.R refuses to restore and says "Computer cannot be restored to 24 May System Checkpoint". I have also tried numerous other dates. I think that this problem existed prior to **. I have also lost both my sound system and old webcam settings and am now therefore both deaf and blind!

My Norton Anti-virus status is "Good".

Any help of a not too technical nature please, particularly to restart the S.R?

Many thanks.

alan227 15:11 02 Jun 06

I do not think you will be able to use the system restore points as it looks like they are corrupted.

What you could try though is click Start / right click My computer / left click Properties / click Hard ware / click Device manager / click on your webcam entry / click on the driver tab / then click on Roll back driver and see if that cures the problem.

Lemur 21:52 02 Jun 06

Thanks alan227.

Not doing too well but, will have another go at your second para., soonest. Meanwhile, I would like to get my sound back asap.

I have gone into Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio, but find the various options greyed out and showing 'No Devices'. There appears to be a greyed provision to scroll to various options so, can either you, or anyone else, tell me how to change the grey to black please?

Thanks.

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:09 02 Jun 06

Looks like your audio device has been uninstalled, you will need to reinstall it, are there any exclamation marks in Device Manager next to your "Sounds Audio and Gaming Controllers"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…