system restore back up

hymerman 15:36 06 Nov 07

I am seeking to make a back up on my Acer travel mate
laptop, the prime method seems to be via a memory stick. Would someone please enlighten me as to what this is and is there any particular one and capacity that I would need to purchase.

Totally-braindead 15:40 06 Nov 07

You mention system restore in your title and then in the thread mention backing up your laptop so I'm a bit confused.
What do you want to back up? It can't be windows itself as theres no way that would fit on a memory stick, an external hard drive yes but not a memory stick they are far too small.

hymerman 16:31 06 Nov 07

Please forgive my lack of understanding.
Where I am coming from is that when I bought this laptop I took the advice that many have given and opted for a downgrade from Vista to XP. I have recovery discs for Vista but now need to create recovery discs or the equivelant for my XP, hence my initial enquiry.
The "wizard" does not show disc as an option

Totally-braindead 19:16 06 Nov 07

So you want to back up fully your XP laptop.

I assume you therefore have XP disks that together with the relevant driver disk for your laptop is all you really need to reinstall XP.

I'll have to leave it to others to describe how to make an XP backup as the only way I have done it is to use Acronis Drive Image and an external hard drive.

A memory stick is far too small to backup an entire hard drive with windows on it. You could do it to a number of CDs a couple of DVDs or an external hard drive but not a memory stick.

This is Microsofts take on it click here but I haven't used it and am certain it doesn't backup windows as well, it can't because windows is actually being used. That is why a program like Acronis is used, it loads itself and doesn't run windows so that windows can be copied.

Border View 23:35 06 Nov 07

Have you tried going into Acer Recovery Management. Have a feeling that you may be able to make a back up disk from within there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…