System restore

PC840 18:57 14 Dec 10

After changing tyhe size of some pstitions, with Easeus, I can't use system restore. And the protection has been turned off on the harddrive. When I go into configure under system protection, I can't alter 'current usage' which is set to zero. Any ideas?

GaT7 19:31 14 Dec 10

If Easeus is still running in the background disable it & try again.

If no joy, simply try rebooting your system.

If that doesn't work either, uninstall Easeus & try again. G

PC840 22:18 14 Dec 10

Uninstalled Easeus no improvement!

GaT7 23:03 14 Dec 10

I'm assuming you're using Vista or Win7.

If yes, download, install & run this free FixWin Utility click here.

Under the System Tools menu, click on the Fix button next to 'Reset System Restore to Defaults....". Reboot & see if that's made a difference.

If the above doesn't help, run the 'System File Checker Utility' under FixWin's Welcome menu. G

Les28 10:04 15 Dec 10

Maybe the system restore service has been stopped when you were resizing and needs restarting, can you check from a Run command type services.msc and click OK, scroll down the services list to see if System Restore Service is Status Started and Start up Type is Automatic, or whether it's showing as Stopped.

Les28 10:28 15 Dec 10

Or you can access Services from Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools icon in Control Panel, then click on Services Shortcut icon.

Easeus will probably have had to stop the system restore service when it was resizing, if the SR service is showing as Stopped, double click on the system restore entry in services, or right click on it and left click Properties and click on Start button, windows will then start the service and then set its startup type in drop down window to Automatic if needed, then Apply and OK if needed.

PC840 18:41 15 Dec 10

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm not making much head way and perhaps another reinstall is on the cards! But here is the last 'clue'. When I go into 'system restore' menu 'restore system settings and previous versions of files' is greyed out. So selecting 'only restore previous versions of files' and trying to apply, I get the error message 'could not apply settings for the following reason. The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect (Ox80070078)

woodchip 19:00 15 Dec 10

"It will be" its all inked to old Partition sizes. But why you cannot turn it off I do not know

woodchip 19:01 15 Dec 10

If its turned off try turning it on

Les28 21:34 15 Dec 10

Have you checked first to see whether the system restore service is running in services.msc?

You could try reinstalling system restore as explained here by running sr.inf

click here

However I think since you've changed the volume sizes and letters, you may have to create a new drivetable.text file reflecting the new sizes and volume letters.

The drivetable.text file is inside the system volume information folder which is found at the root of C drive, just click My Computer icon, then C drive icon and you should see the SVI folder.

However you will first have to make Hidden files and Folders and Protected operating system files visible, then you will have to give yourself permission to open SVI folder then rename drivetable.txt to old_drivetable.txt and reboot the pc so a new drivetable.txt file is created by windows.

click here

PC840 10:58 16 Dec 10

Phew, this is getting well above my pay grade. Thanks but a rinstall :( is on!
thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…