System Restore

Tooling Enterpri 16:08 27 Jul 09

My system restore does not work even when i make a restorE point? also system tools Disc clean up & Disc Defragmenter no longer work I get a red circle with a white cross saying it could not start.
Is there any way to fix these

Thanks

Pineman100 16:41 27 Jul 09

Have you tried running System Restore in Safe Mode? This often works when running in Normal Mode doesn't. It's worth a try.

LinH 16:56 27 Jul 09

Is the System Restore service running? Click on the start menu, then Run, and type services.msc. Scroll down to System Restore and check that it is running. If not, highlight it and you will get the option to start the service at top left.

LinH

Sea Urchin 17:00 27 Jul 09

Judging from this and your other thread your system seems to be struggling. I would try running a System File Check - assuming your using XP click Start - Run - type sfc /scannow (note the space before slash) and OK.

It may ask you to insert your OS disk as it repairs the files.

Graphicool1 18:08 27 Jul 09

Try this...

Click on 'My Computer'
Right click C: (your OS drive)
In menu click 'Properties'
Click the 'Tools' tab
Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now'
click the box next to...
'Automatically Fix File System Errors'
Click 'Start'
A notice will say it can't do it until the next time you boot. Click 'Yes' and reboot

Stuartli 19:33 27 Jul 09

Graphicool1 is detailing ChkDisk (Check Disk).

Tooling Enterpri 00:50 28 Jul 09

Thanks will try all this tomorrow morning will let you know how i get on
Not had much luck with it so far
yes this computor with the problems is running on Windows XP home edition service pack 3

Tooling Enterpri 10:16 28 Jul 09

A yellow triangle came up with a ! mark in it saying the system restor service on local computor started and then stopped.some services stop automatically if they have no work to do,for example,performance logs and alerts service.

Tooling Enterpri 10:21 28 Jul 09

yellow triangle ! mark an error has occurred in scrip on this page

then tried again and said started now so hopfully will be ok

Tooling Enterpri 10:50 28 Jul 09

sfc /scannow run this didnt ask for OS disc just finished & disapeared,
I Seem to have system restore back but not jet cheked as there are no points to restore to yet,

My disc defragmenter could not start red circle whit cross?

Tooling Enterpri 10:55 28 Jul 09

Does not work already tried this yellow triangle with ! mark says windows was unable to complete the disk check

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009