System Restore

wonderwill 18:15 22 Mar 09

I can see the system restore points and can set new points but when I request a previous restore point the pc shuts down, reboots and provides the message that the system cannot restore to the point selected and has made no changes. Should I repair under windows xp disc and if so how please?

Clapton is God 18:22 22 Mar 09

"when I request a previous restore point"

Previous to what?

You can only restore to points/dates which are shown in the System Restore 'calendar'.

rawprawn 18:24 22 Mar 09

Try a system file scan go to Start> Run> type sfc /scannow and hit enter. You will need your XP Disk.
Watch the space between sfc and/

wonderwill 18:25 22 Mar 09

yes. I am selecting a point on the calendar and it is not restoring to any points that are shown to be available?

eedcam 18:26 22 Mar 09

assuming you are selecting a previous restore point then all you can do is start in safe mode and try it then .

rawprawn 18:26 22 Mar 09

Also it is better to perform System restore from Safe Mode

Stuartli 18:27 22 Mar 09

System Restore only normally creates restore points when hardware or software are installed or uninstalled or a restore point is created manually.

mfletch 18:29 22 Mar 09

Are you using Norton for your security

Turn Norton off then do a system restore

Norton and other security programs block the restore

Clapton is God 18:30 22 Mar 09

Not necessarily.

It also creates an automatic 'System Checkpoint' at least once a day (if the PC is switched on for that long).

Sea Urchin 18:39 22 Mar 09

My XP system restore has never worked unless I run it in safe mode.

Stuartli 22:56 22 Mar 09

It doesn't on my XP Pro system..:-)

>>f the PC is switched on for that long)>>

You mean a full 24 hours?

Mine's on for at least eight hours a day and Hibernated in between until the final Shut Down.

I have an SR for yesterday because I removed an application, none for the day before and the same today so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…