System Restore

wonderwill 18:15 22 Mar 09

I can see the system restore points and can set new points but when I request a previous restore point the pc shuts down, reboots and provides the message that the system cannot restore to the point selected and has made no changes. Should I repair under windows xp disc and if so how please?

Clapton is God 18:22 22 Mar 09

"when I request a previous restore point"

Previous to what?

You can only restore to points/dates which are shown in the System Restore 'calendar'.

rawprawn 18:24 22 Mar 09

Try a system file scan go to Start> Run> type sfc /scannow and hit enter. You will need your XP Disk.
Watch the space between sfc and/

wonderwill 18:25 22 Mar 09

yes. I am selecting a point on the calendar and it is not restoring to any points that are shown to be available?

eedcam 18:26 22 Mar 09

assuming you are selecting a previous restore point then all you can do is start in safe mode and try it then .

rawprawn 18:26 22 Mar 09

Also it is better to perform System restore from Safe Mode

Stuartli 18:27 22 Mar 09

System Restore only normally creates restore points when hardware or software are installed or uninstalled or a restore point is created manually.

mfletch 18:29 22 Mar 09

Are you using Norton for your security

Turn Norton off then do a system restore

Norton and other security programs block the restore

Clapton is God 18:30 22 Mar 09

Not necessarily.

It also creates an automatic 'System Checkpoint' at least once a day (if the PC is switched on for that long).

Sea Urchin 18:39 22 Mar 09

My XP system restore has never worked unless I run it in safe mode.

Stuartli 22:56 22 Mar 09

It doesn't on my XP Pro system..:-)

>>f the PC is switched on for that long)>>

You mean a full 24 hours?

Mine's on for at least eight hours a day and Hibernated in between until the final Shut Down.

I have an SR for yesterday because I removed an application, none for the day before and the same today so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant