System Restore

pj123 15:44 07 Oct 07

Ever since I installed XP Pro SP2 I have never been able to do a System Restore?

It seems to go through all the motions but on reboot all I get is a Dialogue box:

Restoration Incomplete

Your computer cannot be restored to: xxxxxxxxx (date)

No changes have been made to your computer

To choose another Restore Point, restart System Restore.

I try again and get the same thing, and again and again and again.

Fortunately, I have a cloned hard disk which I just install and boot with that. All I need to do then is just update AVG, Adaware, Spybot and Spywareblaster.

I then clone the installed drive to the one I have just taken out.

But why doesn't System Restore work for me?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:41 07 Oct 07

It's possible that one of your Restore points has become corrupt, in which case you'll need to disable System Restore. This will delete all existing Restore points and then re-enable it. To do so, right-click My Computer on the Start menu or desktop and choose Properties -> System Restore tab. Tick the 'Turn off System Restore on all drives’ and click Apply - you'll be told that all existing Restore points will be deleted, so click Yes, at which point the Restore points will be removed. Now remove the tick and click Apply again to re-enable it.

You can now test that System Restore is working properly by creating a new Restore Point and then immediately attempting to restore your computer to that point in time.

pj123 16:56 07 Oct 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\, thanks. Will give that a try and let you know.

pj123 17:11 07 Oct 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\. Done all that and this time it seems to have worked. I got:

Restoration Complete
Your computer has been restored to xxxxxx (today) etc...

I will leave the thread open and try a restore in a few days time and see what happens.

But, so far, looking good.

rawprawn 18:28 07 Oct 07

If you fail, go to Start>run and type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. you will need your XP SP2 Disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017