System, Restore

Johnsy 15:11 23 Apr 07

Cannot get this to work- always returns me to the same point as I started.

Johnsy

skidzy 15:15 23 Apr 07

You may have to go back further.

Alternatively if the system is running ok,turn off SR and reboot then enable SR and create a new restore point.
SR is not that reliable and best to use a backup program such as Acronis.

CLONNEN 15:15 23 Apr 07

Do you mean that System Restore says it has failed to restore to the point specified OR is it saying it is successful but not undoing whatever you are trying to undo.

System Restore doesn't undo document changes only programs and system settings.

Jack Hackett 15:16 23 Apr 07

I presume this is on an XP PC.
Do you have enough space allocated for System Restore?
Do you have any Norton security products installed?

alan2273 15:16 23 Apr 07

Do you mean you are trying to restore to one of the bold settings on the calendar of your restore point, and also does it complete the restoration, or do you get an error message saying it cannot complete the operation.
If so the restore points are corrupted and there is not a lot that can be done.

CLONNEN 15:17 23 Apr 07

If you are being told that the System Restore was unsuccessful then there is probably a reason for it.

The Restore Point might be too old - the oldest points get deleted by the system when it runs out of specified disk space.

Johnsy 15:59 23 Apr 07

My PC is a Dell Dimension running Windows XP. The same thing happened on my previous PC which was a Mesh running the same system. The message I get back says " Your system coul not be restored to the :- System Restore Checkpoint I had entered (Which was in bold type)". I am running Norton Antivirus and Norton Systemworks 2006. I have 12% of my hard drive which has 150GB storage, allocated to System Restore.

skidzy 16:03 23 Apr 07

Long time since i used Norton,but does that not now control your SR...

Johnsy 16:26 23 Apr 07

Thanks. When I disbled Norton, System Restore worked properly - so problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…