system restore

i have tried system restore a few times, when i click a bold date, system restarts and says, unable to restore as no changes have been made to your computer"
it puts this up even if their have been major 'software' changes, am i doing something wrong, it seems to do this whichever date i select.
xp home sp2, compaq presario 1909uk
thanks

it_girl 20:16 19 Oct 06

This should help. click here
Initially Verify that Restore is working and then check Restore Not Working section.

rawprawn 13:55 22 Oct 06

The restore files have been corrupted. Go into System Restore Settings and turn SR off then reboot (NB you will lose all previous restore points, but they are no good anyway)then turn SR back on and it will create a new restore point. You can test this if you want by doing a restore using the new one.

thank you have done that, i got norton 'go back and ghost 10 with my pc, are they any good, because if anything had happened to my pc, i suppose i would have had to do a recovery losing all my files, im very new to all this is m/soft restore as little unreliable?

terryf 01:29 23 Oct 06

Look at the use of Acronis Drive Image and an external usb hard drive for backup

thanks everyone, have done what what rawprawn advised,, have also put ghost 10 on second drive, i will see how i get on, will keep you posted.
thanks again adam

Enoch 15:54 23 Oct 06

it_girl

I have the same problem and I tried to check whether System Restore was working and I could not find the relative answer within the MS page you advised. It says go into control panel and verify System Restore by clicking on "Performance and Maintenance" which I cannot find in the control panel-----------any ideas please?

I am not trying to hijack this string, just looking for help with the same problem

postie24 17:02 23 Oct 06

Enoch click on my computer/view system info/system restore

postie24 17:06 23 Oct 06

Enoch to find performance and maintenance,control panel/help and support listed on the left,its under topics

Enoch 06:47 24 Oct 06

postie24------I have found "System Restore" in the way you described. However, how can I tell from that page whether it is working or just sitting there corrupted. It shows previous restore points and that was the problem. I tried to restored to one of the points show, and it came up with the message "Cannot restore to......."

have just got to system restore as described above it now says turned off all drives! has ghost done this?
thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…