System Restore

Quinlan 11:19 02 Jul 06

Hi,

I cannot restore my computer to an earlier date using System Restore.

I have created and named System Restore points.

I have tried to restore to "My own created Restore Point" "Windows Defender Check Point" and "Software Distribution Service 2.0" (all highlighted in System Restore)

In all cases System Restore appears to prodeed normally ('files being restored progress bar appears etc'), however, in all cases I ultimately end up with the message " Computer cannot be restored to (specified Restore Point) select another Restore Point"

I would appreciate help. Please give detailed step-by-step instructions as I am not an expert.

Regards.

Fellsider 11:25 02 Jul 06

Go to System Restore

In the restore window click on the left pane 'System Restore Settings'

In the next page under the 'System Restore' tab (should be the opening screen) check that the box is NOT ticked for "Turn off system restore on all drives"

Quinlan 11:58 02 Jul 06

Hi Fellsider,

I have checked - System Restore is NOT turned off. in 'Systems Restore Settings' window.

Thank for assistance.

Fellsider 12:01 02 Jul 06

It's got me stumped then!

andrew-196854 12:03 02 Jul 06

why was you wanting to do a system restore anyway ?

Happens to me too.Don`t know why.

VoG II 13:59 02 Jul 06

If you disable System Restore, restart then re-enable SR it should behave again.

Doing this will lose all your existing restore points but as you can't restore to them anyway...

rawprawn 14:00 02 Jul 06

Try this go to Start/Run and type sfc /scannow (watch the space between sfc and / )you will need your XP CD. This should correct any fault in System restore, but it may delete all previous restore points.

Lettervanman 14:54 02 Jul 06

Can't recall the post, but it was on this forum.
If you have some sort of backup like Acronis, you may have a problem with restore.

Quinlan 18:07 02 Jul 06

Many thanks Fellsitter, Vog & Rawprawn - I will try your solutions.
Dibblydufuss - why bother answering when you have nothing to offer?

Many thanks to those who are interested in helping.

Regards.

Quinlan 12:56 03 Jul 06

Many thanks to 'rawprawn' - your solution worked perfectly and my System Restore is now in tip-top condition.

Thanks to others who offered assistance.

By the way 'Mack1' if you have a similar problem - try the solution given by 'rawprawn' It worked for me.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now