system restore

rosie 08:57 06 Mar 06

On Windows XP Home I find suddenly that my computer can't system restore. I get a message when I try to create a restore point that it can't do this. Is there anything major wrong that I can't fix? If there is a fix for this, what is it? I've noted that the box to turn off system restore is not checked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:21 06 Mar 06

Stsrt- Run -type services.msc - scroll down to System restore service and check it has started.

If not, right click it, select properties, in the startup type box select automatic, click start, click ok.

rosie 11:11 06 Mar 06

Thanks, but I've checked as you advised and it has started. So, what next? Beats me.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:37 06 Mar 06

Check the slider for the space allocated for XP's System Restore. If it's set at 0%, change it to whatever size you want to allow it and see if you can then make a restore point. Faling that you should do a thorough virus scan as a couple of viruses can cause this problem.

rawprawn 11:42 06 Mar 06

You are probably better off starting from scratch. System Restore/ System Restore Settings/ tick the box Turn Off System Restore and reboot (you will lose all past restore points)Turn system restore back on and reboot, it will have created a new restore point. Test it by doing a restore on that point. If it works OK. If not go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (watch the space) you will need your XP CD and that should fix it.

rosie 12:06 06 Mar 06

Raw Prawn Thanks! It worked instantly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced