system restore

briefcase 09:59 03 Mar 06

whatever point in time I use to try and use sytem restore it "goes through all the motions" as though it is working and then comes up with cannot restore sytem to - whenever point I choose

961 10:31 03 Mar 06

Which operating system?

johnnyrocker 11:12 03 Mar 06

as you are trying system restore i take it you have either ME or XP? are you selecting appropriate dates ie highlighted/greyed?

johnny.

€dstowe 11:16 03 Mar 06

Even when it's working, System Restore is no substitute for a full system backup.

briefcase 13:06 03 Mar 06

yes i only try on the highlighted dates

rawprawn 13:44 03 Mar 06

You are probably better off starting from scratch. System Restore/ System Restore Settings/ tick the box Turn Off System Restore and reboot (you will lose all past restore points)Turn system restore back on and reboot, it will have created a new restore point. Test it by doing a restore on that point. If it works OK. If not go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (watch the space) you will need your XP CD and that should fix it.

briefcase 14:58 03 Mar 06

rawprawn Many thanks Although as you say you loose all previous restore points its back again

Pine Man 15:03 03 Mar 06

I have just had the same problem which wasn't cured by switching it on and off but I found the following advice on re-installing System Restore which worked a treat.

Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter.

In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists, or for systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Downloaded from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\ folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant