System Restore

laser sailor 12:53 28 Feb 05

I posted the below with one response. I've reloaded the mouse driver to no avail. Would a system restore back to 3 weeks ago when the PC was brand new do the trick ? Or should I attempt to boot in "Safe Mode" and see what happens ?

Thankyou

When I bootup my Microsoft Optical 2.0A mouse will not work. Upon restart ( warm or cold), it works. Placing the mouse right on the receiver at start does not help.
After 20 / 30 minutes XP crashes for no apparent reason & restarts. At restart the mouse does not work so I have to restart....

OS is XP Home. I've run all the virus / ad aware checkers as well as CCleaner - all clear.

Device managers all seem ok.

Any ideas ?

Completealias 13:10 28 Feb 05

It could b worth a try at the very least. It won't do any harm and if it does sort it out then ideal. Another option that you could try is as the pc is booting up press F8 then select last known good configuration

Have you checked the device manager for any conflicts?

Also can you think of anything that you were doing around the time the problem started eg have you installed new software or drivers for any thing or added any new hardware? Might offer some clue as to whats caused the problem.

Could also b worth checking the net to see if there is an updated driver for your hardware this could also b worth a try.

Completealias 13:11 28 Feb 05

Just seen that you have checked device manager

Stuartli 13:47 28 Feb 05

This keyboard and mouse troubleshooter may provide some clues:

click here

laser sailor 14:24 28 Feb 05

Thanks guys, I've looked through the troubleshooters & they give no clues. Will the PC know the last known config ? I don't ?

Completealias 16:02 02 Mar 05

Yes when you press F8 on bootup you get a list of options one is last known good config. The computer will determin this from the last configuration where everything worked ok

laser sailor 12:41 07 Mar 05

last known did not work, I tried a system restore but the system said it was unable to restore.
How about a re-install of windows - would that work. Editing the registry to fix the mouse settings has been suggested but I'm worried about tinkering when I don't know what I'm doing .....

woodchip 13:26 07 Mar 05

Run Restore, it will only put the System back, not remove you docs etc

laser sailor 14:08 07 Mar 05

Restore would not run though .........

sattman 14:53 07 Mar 05

You could try restoring the mouse driver,

Go to device manager, and remove mouse. reboot and it should find or ask for driver.

Perhaps you have the mouse driver on a seperate disk.

woodchip 15:28 07 Mar 05

If you remove the Mouse in device manager Windows should load a new one when you reboot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…