System Restore

setanta23 20:00 16 Jun 04

I went into check on system restore settings on my XP professional set up and Mc Afee Hawk posted a message that Hawk had detected a hostile script. On checking out the details of this so called hostile script i am informed that it is in rstui.exe and the interface name is IWshShell3

I cannot run restore as it just goes through the motions and then says it cannot restore to the chosen point. I have run a complete virus check and that was clean.

Have i got a virus or possibly some nasty spyware. I do know there is something called I wish out there which is a key logger

Can anyone help before i go bald please

Martin

Djohn 20:07 16 Jun 04

You will need to turn off system restore then scan again to remove the virus. Once removed turn system restore back on again.

Right click on My Computer Icon choose properties then restore tab, turn off from there and do the reverse to turn back on again. j.

setanta23 20:47 16 Jun 04

Tried that - thank you - ran full virus check and came up clean.

And then tried again and came up with the same problems when trying to view restore settings - McAfee Hawk picked it out again but the virus checker does not

am i going mad - lol

Djohn 21:02 16 Jun 04

Because you turned off system restore to remove the virus this will mean you have no restore points to turn to until XP makes some more or you make a manual one yourself.

Try a free on-line scan from Trend-Micro, see if that brings up anything. Once again though disable system restore before doing the scan. click here

setanta23 00:24 17 Jun 04

sorry i may have misled u previously

what i actually meant was that when i turned off system restore and ran the virus checker it did not find anything

yet when i try to see restore settings again McAfee Hawk gives me the same message

i will however try Trend

any port in a storm

Cook2 01:10 17 Jun 04
  hugh-265156 01:30 17 Jun 04

not sure

click here click here click here may help if you dig a little deeper.

i would try an online security scan with click here

try clicking start/run and type 'sfc /scannow' and insert your windows cdrom also.

Bagsey 08:11 17 Jun 04

Checkout this link for some intersesting thoughts. I would appear that MAYBE! its not what it seems????

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…