System Repair ?

birdface 10:04 27 Aug 09

Hi due to problemsI will be trying a system repair shortly but having looked at two different sites I am a little confused on the proper way to do it.

click here as we are repairing XP press enter.

Now this one tells you not to press the R for repair until later.

click here

Does it matter what one that I should follow.

oldbeefer2 10:12 27 Aug 09

When I asked this question a couple of years ago (or maybe more), I was told not to use the recovery console - I followed the second of your 'clicks', and it worked for me.

sunnystaines 10:43 27 Aug 09

buteman

turn off all background running security first, as some block S/R.

REMEMBER TO ENABLE AFTERWARDS.

birdface 10:51 27 Aug 09

Ok.Thanks for the Info.Waiting till I get a quiet house before starting.
I take it if I just switch the Modem off that should do it.Or do you still need to turn the security off.

oldbeefer2.
Yes I was thinking that it looked the easiest so will probably go with that.Its just the first one said XP home which I use but I suppose both will do the same job.

crosstrainer 10:59 27 Aug 09

The link you have is correct....Follow the steps:

click here

For XP

Or:

click here

For Vista....Worth having when you upgrade!!

birdface 13:19 27 Aug 09

Ok many thanks there should be enough information there for me to try.But it will not be for a few days yet.
Will class as resolved but will come back [eventually and let you know how I got on.]

birdface 09:12 28 Aug 09

[Ok many thanks there should be enough information there for me to try.]

Dippy here managed to go straight by the Repair sign and ended up doing a Reformat.
But had to do it in the next 6 weeks anyway as my daughter was wanting this computer for the kids.

Sorry if I wasted your time.At least I know how to get to it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…